About MSTB’s Quality Software Product Certification Scheme
MSTB`s Quality Software Product Certification Scheme (QS) provides an independent, third-party certification of software products based against international standards.
The scheme is ISO-driven and MSTB as the Scheme Owner and Certification Body is accredited with the following standards:
- The MSTB quality model conforms to ISO/IEC 9126-1: 2001 which defines 6 external quality characteristics of software broken down into 27 sub-characteristics which requiring testing of more than 130 metrics
- MSTB software quality testing follows ISO/IEC TR 9126-2: 2003. This is an ISO technical report that provides metrics to assess the 6 external quality characteristics defined in ISO/IEC 9126-1: 2001
- MSTB documentation evaluation of software product conforms to ISO/IEC 25051: 2006 – a standard used to evaluate documentation for Commercial Off-the-Shelf Software (COTS)
Note 1: Malaysian standard of MS 1883: Part 1:2005 is technically identical to international standard of ISO/IEC 9126-1: 2001 as both share the same quality model, characteristics and sub characteristics.
Note 2: Malaysian standard of MS 1883: Part 2:2005 is technically identical to international standard of ISO/IEC TR 9126-2:2003 as both share the same external metrics and measurements for the sub characteristics in ISO/IEC 9126-1: 2001.
The Scheme involves two (2) progressive levels as described below:
For more detail of the scheme levels, please refer to MSTB QS Product Certification Scheme v2.3.0
MSTB as the certifying body for the Scheme is governed by the ISO/IEC 17065:2012 and also Accreditation of Certification Bodies-Software Product Certification (ACB-SWPC) Issue 1, 15 October 2012 which is developed specifically for software product certification. This is our assurance of professional quality software certification. It also means that we guarantee confidentiality regarding your software and competence regarding our results.
To ensure impartiality and integrity of the Scheme, MSTB has three (3) committees (Certification Decision Committee, Impartial Committee and Complaints and Appeals Committee) consist of specifically selected members made up of practitioners and professionals from various sectors covering industry, academia and government agencies.
For more detail of roles of these committees, please refer to MSTB QS Product Certification Scheme v2.3.0
The software product will be tested by an accredited independent lab (MSTB or any other third (3rd) party appointed by MSTB) which meet applicable requirements of MS ISO/IEC 17025:2005, which is a standard used by testing and calibration laboratories.
In essence, QS-certified software reflects trustworthiness of the product against a set of internationally recognised standards. It fulfils the need for independent verification of the quality of the software.
For buyers and users, the benefits of buying certified software include:
- Reduced risks by leveraging on expert validation by an independent and accredited organization
- Assurance of software product quality before purchase
- Protection against potential ‘hidden’ costs of using substandard software products
Certifying your software
Customers are becoming highly sophisticated and more discerning in selecting software – whether for personal use or for their businesses. They demand reliability, availability and integrity of software products and systems.
Trust is the key. Interests on the products can be quickly converted into sales if customers’ trust is gained. Independent verification of the quality of the product helps built that trust.
For software developers and vendors, having your software certified will help you to:
- Gain your customer’s confidence
- Get an internationally recognized Certificate of Quality
- Improve the marketability of your software domestically and internationally
- Strengthen your position in the marketplace
What Software Can Be Certified
To be eligible for certification, software products must be fully functioning with completed product and user documentations.
The QS Certification Scheme will cover most types of software including:
- Security software
- Embedded software
- Hardware appliance software, and
- Business software
However, certain types of software products may not be eligible for Certification, such as:
- Software with simple function whose technical or economic value is minimal
- Software that lacks universality as it is only operated in an isolated environment
- Gambling software, and
- Harmful software that may interferes with sound business activities
The MSTB QS Product Certification Scheme is available. Your software deserves to get its quality certification.
The first step to take is to view and study materials as below.
Note: The latest version of the above documents take precedence over earlier versions. Please always refer to the latest version of the documents. Contact us via email email@example.com for verification.
Next step to take is to obtain the QS Jumpstart Pack from MSTB
The QS Jumpstart Pack will guide you through the application process. Several items would be needed for the certification test and they include:
- The software product to be certified
- Description of product
- - for COTS software, this means the product information provided to customers which gives details of functions and product specifications
- - for custom developed software (non-COTS), this means specifications including information about functions
- User manual, and
- Business registration card
License Price of the QS Jumpstart Pack
License Price List:
RM30,000 for software which IP is fully owned by Malaysian individuals or companies
US$10,000 for software which IP is not fully owned by Malaysian individuals or companies
The above pricing exclude any applicable taxes and incidental costs that may be incurred by MSTB in fulfilling the order.